Sunday, March 6, 2011

Inspiration

I have slowly been collecting ideas and inspiration for our nursery - unfortunately, we cannot actually put any of these plans into practice until we get the upstairs remodel finished lol So in the meantime, the ideas and inspiration continue to pile up and so this seems like a good place to compile them :o)

If you'll recall from a few posts back, we've already purchased our nursery furniture. We decided to go with a nice dark wood, and will add pops of color throughout the room to brighten things up.

We've also already purchased our nursery bedding set, and have gone with a multi-colored gender neutral ensemble. We're hoping to get a lot of use out of our nursery gear, and use it for any future children (of any gender) as well. So this is the set that we purchased:


For the wall color, we've decided to go with a nice and bright gender neutral yellow. Green with another option, but we already have green in the office across the hall and so I wanted something different.

Something else we would like to do is an accent wall, to go behind the crib. We've finally decided on a multi-colored square accent wall, which will be painted to match the colors of the nursery bed set.


And finally, I wanted there to be some sort of running, consistent theme throughout the room. As a child, my favorite character was always Winnie the Pooh :o) Now, I've searched high and low for tasteful Pooh themed nurseries and most of them were just too tacky for my taste. As a result, I've decided to just add some subtle Pooh accents to the nursery theme and decor that we've already decided on.

So far, I've registered for Winnie the Pooh stuffed animals, blankets, toys, etc.

We also recently purchased these beautiful and colorful art prints to hang on the wall:


I just love the colors - they go really well with the colors in the nursery bed set, as well as the colors of the squares that we will be painting on the accent wall! Plus, they're super cute and so it's a win-win situation :o)

We've also thrown around the idea of adding a vinyl wall decal somewhere in the room, featuring a quote from Winnie the Pooh. But that idea has yet to be formally accepted and/or decided on at this point.

Another touch we are considering, is attaching multi-colored paper lanterns to the ceiling above the rocker.


This pictures makes the concept look a little too busy, with two clusters of lanterns. Ours will only be one single cluster over the rocking chair, so I think it will have a different effect. We're hoping that it will carry the colors across the length of the room - the accent wall, nursery bedding, and Pooh art prints will be on the left side of the room, while these paper lanterns would be on the right side.


I also like this clock, but I'm not sure if it's a little too modern contemporary for the room.

Soooooooo... what do you guys think???

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions???

4 comments:

dave and jenn said...

I LOVE the bedding and the idea of using paper lanterns. I thought about doing something similar too! We are doing a wall decal also - there were so many to choose from, but we finally found a tree with birds that we liked. :)

dave and jenn said...

PS: The invitations for our Gender Reveal Party are from www.punchbowl.com. :)

Katrina said...

Awwww Jenn, I love the idea of a tree with birds decal!!! That was one that we were considering as well - can't wait to see how yours turns out!!!

And thanks for the info on the invites, I am always looking for new invite sites - I will definitely check them out! Thanks!

Unknown said...

This is an old post but thought I'd give this a try, I like your color block inspiration pic where did you find the pic.